Methane Inhibitor / ERD and ISCR Supplement
Provect-CH4 is a food-grade, natural source of Monacolin K (otherwise known as Lovastatin) that is used to prevent methane (CH4) production by inhibiting the growth and proliferation of methanogenic Archaea. In environmental remediation applications, it can be used as a supplement to conventional enhanced reductive dehalogenation (ERD) and in situ chemical reduction (ISCR) amendments rendering them safer and more effective.
Provect-CH4 is the only ERD/ ISCR supplement that will rapidly improve remedial performance while simultaneously reducing or significantly minimizing the production of methane. The benefits are notable:
- More Efficient = More Cost Effective: Production of methane is a direct indication that the hydrogen generated from the organic carbon amendments was used by methanogens and the amendment has been wasted because it was not utilized by acetogens or dehalorespiration. By inhibiting the growth and proliferation of methane producing Archaea, chlororespiring bacteria can become the more dominant bacterial populations.
- Safer: Methane is explosive with an LEL of 5% and an UEL of 15%. Production of methane will result from the addition of any conventional ERD or ISCR amendment: excessive and extended production of methane can result in elevated in groundwater concentrations (as high as 1,000 ppm have been reported) which can lead to accumulation in soil gas subsequently impacting indoor air. State specific regulations for methane in groundwater have been promulgated, with others pending for soil gas and indoor air.
- Ease of Use: Green and sustainable. All components integrated in a single package. Logistics with no surprises.
- Patented Technologies: Technology end users and their clients are fully protected from all Patent and other legal issues.
With widely varying degrees of success, other approaches such as managing pH and using slower-release, cellulose based carbon sources (lignolytic bacteria are not commonly thought to produce methane) have attempted to manage methane production during remedial applications. However, Provect-CH4 is the only reagent designed to actually inhibit the production of methane in a safe, reliable and predictable manner (US Patent No. 9,221,669 B2). In addition to the safety issues, associated with elevated methane in groundwater, soil gas, and indoor air, this effect also promotes more efficient use of the hydrogen donor.
- Provect-CH4™ Safety Data Sheet
- Provect-CH4™ Technical Data Sheet
- Provect-CH4™ Methane Inhibitor Open Calculator
- Provect-CH4™ Synthetic Precipitation Leaching Procedure (SPLP) Analysis
- Provect-CH4™ Florida Department of Environmental Protection Approval
- Provect-CH4™ Technical Note No. 3 – Impact of Methane Inhibitors on Bacteria and Archaea
- Provect-CH4 Handling and Application Guidelines
- Controlling Methane at ERD and ISCR Applications (Pollution Engineering News, November 2014)
- US Patent No. 9,221,669 B2
- Managing Excessive Methanogenesis During ERD/ISCR Remedial Action [J. MUELLER, and G. BOOTH – REMEDIATION2016)
Download Our Complimentary & FREE Site Evaluation Form