Provect-OX2: Extended Release, Self-Activating ISCO + Enhanced Bioremediation Reagent
Provect-OX2™ is an in situ chemical oxidation (ISCO) + enhanced bioremediation reagent that integrates an extended release source of potassium persulfate into the modern Provect-OX® formula. Ferric iron (Fe III) activation is used as a safe and effective means of activating the potassium and sodium persulfates (US Patent No. 9,126,245; patents pending). Similar to our original Provect-OX® technology, Provect-OX2™ oxidizes a wide variety of organic compounds present in impacted soil, sediment and groundwater, including chlorinated solvents, petroleum hydrocarbons, and pesticides. However, Provect-OX2™ ensures extended release of oxidant throughout the treatment media. The ferric iron oxide, along with the residual sulfate, will provide enhanced bioremediation components following the chemical oxidation processes. Provect-OX2™ will also include Terr-OR™ ferrate stabilizer and pH buffer to offset the sulfuric acid produced during breakdown of the persulfates.
Provect-OX® and Provect-OX2™ are the only ISCO technologies designed to actively manage rebound. The advanced activation catalyst is further unique considering its ability to enhance bioremediation processes. This is accomplished via the subsequent utilization of sulfate and iron as terminal electron acceptors for facultative reductive processes. Degradation intermediates generated during pollutant oxidation may act as electron shuttles, allowing the reduction of Fe(III) to Fe(II) in the redox cycling of iron and continued activation of persulfate. This combined remedy provides supplemental treatment mechanisms thereby allowing for more cost-efficient dosing of the product.
Like all Provectus products, Provect-OX2™ was developed by experienced practitioners who understand real-world field applications. For example, the oxidants (potassium and sodium persulfate) and its activator (ferric oxide) are conveniently packaged in a single, pre-mixed bag for ease of use and safe handling. Moreover, due to its safe and non-extreme activation chemistry, Provect-OX2™ will not generate excessive heat / off-gases, nor will it mobilize heavy metals or lead to the generation of secondary impact issues, such as elevated arsenic, chromium, or pH.
For more information on how Provect-OX® and Provect-OX2™ compares to other ISCO technologies, Click Here.
- "Overcoming ISCO Limitations with Ferric Iron Activated Persulfates" by Will Moody - Focused Remediation Seminars Virtual Webinar | May 20th, 2021
- "Safer, More Effective ISCO Remedial Actions Using Non-Extreme Persulfate Activation to Yield Sustained Secondary Treatment" Wade Meese – IET
- "Combined ISCO/Bioremediation for In-Place Soil Treatment" J. Mueller - Provectus Environmental, and J. Ogden - Fehr Graham - Battelle 2017, Miami FL
- "Combining Persulfate, In Situ Ferrate Generation and Enhanced Bioremediation for Safer, More Effective Remedial Actions" J. Mueller, K. Finneran, R. Darlington, and M. Scalzi - Battelle 2017, Miami FL
- "Combining Persulfate, In Situ Ferrate Generation and Enhanced Bioremediation for Safer, More Effective Remedial Actions" J. Mueller, and W. Moody - FRC 2018, Orlando FL
Provect-OX2™ – In Situ Chemical Oxidation + Enhanced Bioremediation for Contaminant Mass Destruction Site: Former Gasoline Station – Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey Constituents of Interest: BTEX, Trimethylbenzenes, and TICs Project Summary A former gas station located in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey was impacted with petroleum hydrocarbons due to leaks from underground storage […]Continue reading